- 5 Egg Yolks
- 30g Molasses Sugar (Keep 1 tbsp aside for the meringue later)
- 30g Grape Seed Oil
- 50g Beet root purée
- 40g Water
- 90g Unbleached (organic) Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Aluminium Free Baking Powder*
- Ingredient B for Meringue:
- 5 Egg Whites
- 1 tbsp of Molasses Sugar (from the 30g in Ingredients A)
- Yogurt Drops and Honey
- Prepare 10 -15 paper cups on a tray.
- Mix egg yolks, molasses sugar, grape seed oil, beet root purée and water together, mix it well with a hand beater or a electric mixer.
- Mix flour and baking powder well and add it into the mixed liquid-dy ingredients in step 1.
- Mix the batter well and leave it aside while we prepare the meringue.
- Beat egg whites till it seems foamy. Add in Molasses sugar and continue beating till soft white peaks are formed. In this case, you will see yellowish peaks as molasses sugar carries a very dark tone.
- Pour half the meringue into the egg yolk batter, fold in carefully until well combined.
- Pour the egg yolk batter into the rest of the meringue, continue to fold.
- (the next time I make chiffon, I promise to snap a picture of these meringue and batter)
- Pour the ready batter into individual cups
- Bake at 160 degree Celsius for 10 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven
- Spread honey on top of the half baked cake, and place a yogurt drop on it.
- Continue to bake at 150 degrees Celsius for 38 minutes.
- And soft, fluffy chiffons are ready to be served.
Beet Root are naturally sweet. I have minimized the use of sugar. You can double up the sugar in this recipe if you prefer a sweeter version.
This is a little more improvisation. I pumped Cream in to the cup cake, then decorated it with dehydrated Sweet Potato Drop